Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Two Weeks To Go (Plus Recovery)





Things have improved since Jim's last posting. They were able to move my room again (although I am still on the wrong floor) and this room has windows and it is overall a very nice room. The bed is much more comfortable and I have a refrigerator so that is nice. The doctor's and nurses keep assuring us that in an emergency they can get us back to the 5th floor in time (lets hope they are right).
I let the doctors know about how I was not very impressed with the slow response time last week and about the nurse that tried to give me a pill for a different patient. I now have the organizational chart so I know who to call if anything like that happens again. It really was a blow to our confidence level for this hospital.
I was watching the news the other night (bad thing to do) and they were talking about the worst time to be in the hospital is July. They said that if you can to make sure not to have any surgeries in the month of July as the mortality rate goes up by 10%. Nice just what I wanted to hear!! The reason is that doctors graduate and start their residency in July and they make a lot of mistakes. So I asked who was performing my C-section and thankfully it is the medical director!!!
I had an ultrasound yesterday and things are looking good. The babies are belly to belly and they are thinking it is because they are so tangled they can not move that far apart. They remain active so lets hope they do not pull those cords tight. The growth scan is not until next week but they are thinking that baby A has gained on baby B and may not be growth restriced anymore (meaning they are looking close in size which is great news). We hope they break 3 lbs. next week. Jim was hoping they would be 4 lbs. at birth but that is most likely not going to happen.
I have started to have pretty regular contractions (every 2 to 3 minutes) which has been a little interesting. They are slightly concerned but not overally concerned. As long as they do not get more painful then we should be ok. Of course the worry is pre term labor when you have multiples. However, with multiples the chances of having Braxton Hicks contractions go up as well.
They did finally put me on the scale and I have gained a total of 27 lbs. total. Jim thought that was not enough and I thought it was too much. In looking it up though it seems to be just about right for how far along we are.
The nurses are different on this floor but I must be doing something right as I have had some nurses switch floors so that they can work with me. That is so sweet! There is one nurse in particular who comes in each day to see where I am and then asks to be assigned to me. She said she enjoys my pleasant attitude and talking to me (it is a good thing she did not see me last week on the "bad" day when I was super angry and then super emotional).
Jim has been doing a fantastic job of taking care of me. He is the best husband ever. He brings me food, washes my laundry and comes every day. He is getting pretty tired though - the poor guy. On Sunday he actually took a several hour nap in the hospital bed because he was so tired. This is taking a toll on him as well. Last week was his birthday and he brought dinner and a cake so that we could celebrate. I feel terrible that we could not do something better but in the end these two little girls will be worth it.
I have also had a lot of visitors and I wanted to say thank you to all of you. It really helps break up the days/weeks. I keep telling myself you do not have that much longer you can do it. Some days though Jim is right I just want to run out screaming and yelling "I am free".
Thank you to everyone! We look forward to July 11th and our babies arrival! We still are not 100% on the names but we have been working on them.

No comments: