Thursday, June 9, 2011

Week 2 at Duke - Twins 27 Weeks

Well I have been at Duke for 9 days (who is counting?). It has not been terrible but I am still struggling to get enough sleep. The bed is a birthing bed so it is very uncomfortable. With the extra weight of the twins I wake up all night long with sore hips. I have been adding more and more pillows to sleep on and while that helps some it makes for moving around very difficult. I am growing by the day and I have a hard time believing I still have weeks to go. I have no idea how I am going to carry my belly around if they grow much bigger. The mornings fly here as I have NST's, doctor visits, housekeeping, food delivery (the food is still terrible) and some students and other doctors who want to do case studies about our journey/twins. Then the afternoons drag and the evenings fly as I usually have visitors. It is nice that I am not on bed rest so most evenings when Jim gets here we go either to the courtyard or to the cafeteria just so I can get out of my room.
We did have one scare this week. Tuesday night about 12:30 in the morning during my NST baby A took two dips on the monitor. They left the monitor on for a lot longer and luckily baby A recovered. It scared me though as I thought here we go for an emergency C-section and the babies are only 27 weeks old. As everyone knows we are trying to get to 32 weeks but getting to 28 improves their odds a lot and then getting to week 30 is another great milestone. Other then that the twins have looked great on the monitors. All of the nurses and doctors are excited about how active they are and they feel they are ahead of the game developmentally wise. That is such a good sign - although with all that movement it does increase their odds of getting tangled. I had an ultrasound on Monday and one today. They are both growing nicely. We will know a lot more next Monday as that will be the growth ultrasound but she did quickly measure Baby B's foot and it was about 2 inches. It was so cute to see the foot and the toes. We watched them move around for awhile. I can not believe how they kick and hit each other. Baby A at one time was resting her head on Baby B's stomach. Then Baby B gave her a kick in the privates. Baby A did not even move so they must be really use to each others movements.
Jim is doing a great job of taking care of everything although he is getting pretty tired. He has been doing a great job of bringing me anything I need and visiting me every day. I know it is hard as he is trying to take care of the dogs, his Mom and trying to get a new lawn to grow. Benz (my dog) seems to be having the roughest time with all of this. Jim said he just is not himself and he is laying at the top of the stairs instead of on the floor next to the bed. Jim thinks he is waiting for me to come home. He also is not eating all of his food - ever. He leaves most of the dish every time. Benz is either really missing me or he is afraid Jim will not feed him again anytime soon. Poor Benz. I will have to video chat with him to see if I can cheer him up.




I did think I would get a lot more done in the hospital then I have been able to. I have a huge list (Stryker's always have a list) and I have barely crossed anything off of it. It is just hard to be productive with little sleep and constant interruptions. Oh well that is life I guess.
I guess that is all for now. I hope everyone is doing well.

Here is one picture from Monday's ultrasound.












No comments: