Tuesday, May 17, 2011

NST (Non Stress Test)

We had our first NST yesterday and it went very well. Usually they start NST's at week 28 (for normal twin couples) but because of our high risk situation they started ours at week 24. The NST's are usually very difficult before week 28 but the perfect angles (must be my DNA) cooperated and the 20 minutes went by with both of them staying on the monitors. Their heart beats both stayed in the normal range so the NST was a success. We then went to have a quick ultrasound to make sure we did not see any twin to twin transfer and that looked great as well. Our next big growth ultrasound will be on Monday of next week and that is where they will make sure they are both growing at the normal rate and to check on Baby B's kidney situation that has hopefully corrected itself. After the ultrasound yesterday we then had a quick doctor's appointment where I checked out great except some swelling in the ankles and my blood pressure was a little high. The high blood pressure was a surprise as I always have very low numbers. I told Jim I thought it was ok as I was stressed that the NST would not go well and they would pull me out of work early - and I have not finished everyone's bonus reviews yet!! When we were chatting with the doctor he stated that I should have my blood pressure checked after I had my first steroid shot in the butt! When he left I said - "Jim he said a shot in the butt?" Jim laughed and said the doctor was just messing with us because we had already been told it would be in the arm. To make a long story short the nurse came in and it was in the butt!! Jim thought the whole thing was hysterical. Me - not so much (it hurt!!). Even after that fun shot my blood pressure had returned to its normal low level so that seems to be fine as well.

I went for my second shot today and then back for an NST tomorrow morning and another one on Friday. The same for next week: NST on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. As long as the NST's keep going well I will continue to work this week and next and then into the hospital I go the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

On a side note Jim was able to feel the babies moving this weekend for the first time. His face was priceless and he kept saying how odd it felt. He was so happy to feel them move though and he felt them (or at least one of them) again last night.

But so far so good - Jim and I remain very positive even though we know something could happen at any moment.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

It gets more exciting every week!! I hope they cooperate and let Grema fell them move next time I see you!