Thursday, May 12, 2011

Time flies

So I was sitting here at my desk and realized I had not crossed off any days on my baby calender this week. So I quickly caught up and saw that we are cruising. We are almost into our 7th month. Just 3 more days and we start month 7 and will be at 24 weeks. This is a huge mile stone.

Twenty-four weeks is almost the holy grail of this Momo journey. It marks a point where if something sketchy starts to happen then the doctors have a fair chance of rescuing the girls. Although, according to Duke they're on the cusp of viability now, week 24 is far better and every 24 hours after that is better yet. I just can't believe we are almost to the 24 week mark.

It still baffles my mind that we are so excited to be just over half baked. Most couples wouldn't even consider the 24 week mark as anything special. They are still looking at the 40 week mark. I guess momos are more like brownies than buns. You can't half back a loaf of bread and expect it to be tasty, but you can bake brownies just far enough to be gooey and hold together. Resulting in the perfect treat. That gives me an idea for tonight...Maybe Joy needs some brownies and ice cream :).

Joy is doing well. Her toes are out of sight to her and have been for a little while. She's been having more problems sleeping. For whatever reason she ends up waking up from time to time and just stares up at the ceiling. At one point in the middle of the night one of the girls was pretty active. Joy thinks I might have been able to feel them move, but she didn't want to disturb my sleep. So maybe sometime soon I can feel them.

Joy starts her out patient monitoring on Monday. It will likely be a long day. A quick trip into the Ultra Sound room to check for TTTS and then off to attempt an NST (Non Stress Test). Apparently NSTs are very hard at this stage because they can move a lot and come off the monitor. The goal from what I gather is to see a nice steady 30-60 minute reading for all three heart beats. If they are as fidgety with this as they are during the Ultra Sound (thanks to my DNA of course) then this could be a long visit.

I'm just beside myself with excitement over these two little girls. Tonight we plan to make a big list of what we need for their room and head over to Lowes to pick up and order some items. I might even have some time to get some primer on the walls and some of the trim I don't have to replace. We shall see though....

No comments: