Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Almost 2 Weeks Old




When I was so sick last week my girls (aka nurse Bonnie) sent me a get well card. It was so cute we wanted to post it out for everyone one to see.


Gma Stryker & Alana
Daddy & Kira
Gma Stryker & Alana
Gma Stryker & Alana (Hmmmm....)
Jim & Kira

Jim and I can not believe that our little ones will be 2 weeks old tomorrow! They continue to exceed everyone's expectations. They are both gaining weight and they are close to their birth weights. They are no longer on caffeine to keep their heart rates up. They are also starting to hold their body temperature and they should be out of their "boxes" soon. They have been turning the heat down everyday and when I was chatting with the doctor today she thought that they would be able to come out in the next week or so (once they get above their birth weights). That just leaves the feeding tube. They have both reached their maximum feedings and they are holding them pretty well. Kira does spit up some so they are watching that - she has some acid reflux. They will hold them at their amounts and possibly start increasing them again next week. We also started breast feeding. Normally they do not start this until a baby is at least 34 weeks old but since both girls love their pacifiers they wanted to start them early. I thought they were crazy!! However I should have known better as the girls both latched right on! It was surprisingly a piece of cake. Alana is really good at it and Kira is learning. They both get tired quickly (as expected) but they both understand the concept. Because this went so well they are considering trying to bottle feed them next week (again a few weeks before they normally start).
Alana's umbilical cord fell off on Monday and Kira's fell off yesterday (Tuesday). That is nice to get rid of. The nurse found Alana's cord and offered it to us but we passed on that souvenir.
Gma Stryker arrived on Sunday and was able to meet her grandchildren. She drives me each day to the hospital so that we can hang out and hold them. They can now come out for an hour at a time since they are maintaining their body heat. Then at night Jim and I visit them so that "Daddy" gets to see them as well. Jim is so cute with his girls. He just stares at them with awe and love. I told him the other night I was not sure who was more fun to watch the girl he was holding or him? I love the expressions on his face!
Alana is going to be a handful. The nurse mentioned today that she never sleeps and I believe her. Gma Stryker held her for at least a half hour and she was awake and I then held her for another hour or so (feeding and cuddling) and she was wide awake the entire time. We are in some serious trouble with this one. Kira is much more calm and cuddly. She spent the hour sleeping in Gma Stryker's arms after her feeding. Both are so adorable you want to spend the entire day with them.
The girls received their first Fed Ex box yesterday. It actually confused me for a minute as I am use to seeing Jim or Joy on all of our packages. My VP sent them personalized blankets and outfits with their names on them. They were so cute!
I guess that is all for now lets hope the girls are home soon.

No comments: