Monday, July 25, 2011

Big Girl Bed!

Alana
Kira
Gma & Kira

Kira & Alana
So I am finally feeling much better and I have managed to stay out of the hospital for over a week. I do feel like I am attached 24/7 to the pump and I can not get enough sleep but other then that I am doing well.
The girls continue to impress us. Alana hit 3 lbs. Friday night (July 22nd) so that was a great milestone for her. The breast feeding every day is hit or miss. Alana usually does a little better then Kira but both girls struggle to stay awake for long periods of time. They both latch on well but they do not have the rest of it down on a consistent basis. If we can keep Kira awake for more then 2 minutes we are doing well. I told Jim it was his fault because she sleeps like him. You can dangle her, move her, raise your voice and all she does is sleep on..... She even sleeps through her diaper changes.
Yesterday when we went to visit the girls in the morning I forgot their milk. So on our way to dinner and a movie (Harry Potter at the IMAX) I quickly ran the milk into the hospital. When I was walking by the girls room I glanced in but kept on walking as we were running late. I had to back up though as something was just not right about the room. I quickly realized that there was a crib in the room! I thought great Kira is finally out of the isolette and in a normal crib. We figured it was coming soon as she was maintaining her body temperature very well. I asked the nurse and she told me to step into the room and check it out. I was shocked when both girls were in the crib together!! They were side by side and each girl had their hands on the others head. It was so sweet and unexpected it brought tears to my eyes. Of course because I was just running in I did not have a camera with me. Hopefully we can catch that pose again.
As of last night (7/24) Alana weighted 3lbs. 2oz. and Kira is up to 3lbs. 12oz. In talking to the doctor today he told me to prepare for Kira to come home before her sister. We of course still do not know when that will be but at this point they mainly have to learn to bottle feed and they have to be able to sit in a car seat for 45 minutes. The week they come home they have to get a few shots and they will have a hearing test. Hopefully they will be home by mid to late August.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I think I'm going to get the best birthday gift this year.... holding Kira, and maybe Alana! :D

What do we need to do to get ready for the homecoming?