Friday, July 8, 2011

Healthy Babies

Smaller BabyLarger Baby



Good morning everyone. Jim and I apologize that we did not get another post out yesterday but we were so tired we could not even function!
Anyway the girls are doing great!! They are both on the minimum required wires/machines in the NICU based on their size and weight. When you look at the pictures it will appear that they have wires everywhere but most are just sensors. They both are receiving oxygen (but the minimum amount). They have feeding tubes because they are just so young they have not developed enough to suck properly on a bottle. Lastly the smaller baby is in an icelet just to make sure she maintains her body temperature. The larger baby just has a heat fan to help her stay warm. The larger baby was taken off of oxygen for awhile so that we could see her hair and she maintained her levels so it is looking like she will not be on oxygen for long.
We went down twice yesterday to the NICU to see our babies and of course we are both in love! We were also able to hold the larger baby which was such a great experience. Jim said "I could really get use to this." We did not stay that long though as we were both so tired we could not keep our eyes open. We look forward to hanging out with them more today.
I am doing ok but of course pretty sore. I am up and walking around but getting up and down is still pretty painful. I am trying not to take much pain medicine as it makes me very ill. Unfortunately I was sick twice yesterday (once right after surgery). The C section went well but it was one of the strangest things I have ever gone through. It is hard to explain but you feel everything just not any pain. Jim and I were also a little sad as it was not much of a birthing experience. The babies did not make a sound and they rushed them out without us being able to see them. If they had not said Baby A was just born and then Baby B we would not have even known they were born. Oh well the important thing is that they are healthy and doing well.
On another note I experienced some pretty painful contractions. I told Jim that this was bad as I did not pay attention to this part in our class. It was also looking like if they did not hurry up I was going to have them before the C section. It took 1 & 1/2 hrs. for them to get my blood screening back (just in case I needed a transfusion). If anyone knows my family we tend to have babies very quickly and with the intensity of the contractions I was really starting to worry that we would not make it to the C section and that would have put the babies in a lot of danger.
The doctors and nurses could not believe the tangles and knots in the cords and stated it was the worst they had seen. Everyone was so glad we got them out when we did and several were surprised we did not have more problems during our NST's.
Here are a few pictures. Once I can locate the camera in our room I will put out a few better pictures.
I am now going to wake Jim up - we need to go and see our little girls!

3 comments:

Steph+Jorg Salomo said...

So happy for the four of you! :-)))

Claire said...

They are beautiful! Instant family of four. Wow! Congrats!

Sandi said...

I'm so glad you posted this newsy blog! It was so hard not to call yesterday but I knew you and Jimmy needed rest. I'm so excited!! WHEN DO I GET TO SEE THEM???